Sunday, October 10, 2010

We are homeschooling.

Never really thought this is what I'd be doing right now, but it has been a great choice for us. Since we moved to the outskirts of town, our sweet little school where Lily and Kate have been going and where we planned for them to graduate high school from is now 1 hour away in the mornings. Ugh! We have a sweet public school right here, but the girls still struggle with social anxiety a good bit and I didn't think they were ready to go to school all day everyday just yet. Also, we don't get to see Phil as much as we used to since he is putting in 70 hour weeks nowadays getting the new church started and being at home allows us to see him during lunch sometimes and in the mornings before he goes to work. The girls and I are all fairly introverted, so being at home gives us strength to do all the fun social events of church planting without burning us out.
Here is a picture of my homeschool room. I was hoping to get a picture of it when it was clean so that I could look like one of those really neat and crafty homeschool moms who never loses patience with their children and have succesful times of family worship....but, in reality, the room is NEVER clean. And the patience and family worship are a work in progress. Maybe one day...












I love to teach, but have been scared of the daunting task of being the only one responsible for their learning. Also, I LOVE my job and wanted to continue if at all possible. Thankfully, Birmingham has so many options for homeschoolers and we found a great fit for us. We've ended up with a hybrid of homeschooling and traditional schooling. We do a co-op that meets 2 days a week. So for those 2 days, the girls are in a regular classroom all day for literature, science, math and history and their teacher gives them assignments to do on the other 3 days with me at home. I get to do Bible and reading on my own, which I love! Here is their sweet little class...













The wonderful thing about their class is that over half of them were adopted or have siblings that were adopted. It is a great environment for them as they enter into a new phase of development where they are understanding adoption on a deeper level.












One of the things that Kate loves about homeschooling is that she doesn't have to sit still. She is always squirming around in her chair in odd positions. This the third table I've tried since she squirms so much that the other tables slid around all over the place.














Lily sits very still. Funny that we noticed this difference in the two of them within an hour after their adoption. Kate liked to kick her legs a lot. In those early days when it was hard to tell them apart, I alway knew if I was holding the one kicking her legs, it was Kate. We used to call her Kickin' Kate. She is a bear to sleep with since she squirms even in her sleep.












I like putting the girls to work for me and calling it homeschool. Here they are baking bread for Phil's birthday dinner.













Recently, I found my first grey hair. So homeschool became beauty school....
















On the days we are home, we do school in the mornings and something fun in the afternoons. One of the things we do in the afternoon is violin practice. The girls do NOT think it is fun, but I'm still calling it fun hoping the positive attitude will catch on. Being home allows us to have a lot of friends over from homeschool, church or our neighborhood. We bought the house in the middle of the community right next to the playground and pool so there are always kids around.













Here's a rare photo of Kate painting toenails with her homeschool girl friends. Before homeschool, she would have never been caught dead doing something so girly! She is exploring new parts of her little self all the time.












Homeschooling has also given me amazing opportunities to disciple my girls while, at the same time, giving me plenty of material for repentance!

11 comments:

The Hill Family said...

I'm impressed! That looks like so much fun! I wish there were some sort of co-op like that where I live! I love the pic of them doing your hair! I dyed my mom's grays for years when I was a little (and then not so little) girl!!

Alicia said...

Hi Jennifer,
Gosh it sounds like yall are having so much fun! :)
I have a tip for you and Kate.
I have one that also can't sit still...we tried giving him a big ball to sit on, we got a therapy ball but he ended up liking just the big play ball we got at WalMart. Anyway, instead of a chair, he sits on the ball. He can move all he wants and still loves doing the work while he is bouncing about at the table. Just a thought :) Of course it is at his work table which is small, not the dinner table.
Oh, and guess what? We have PA for a beautiful three year old daughter from China. YEP, another sweetie pie coming home. We are hoping she will be home in March. Now, do you want to talk grey hair????:):):):)
Hugs to you and your little ones,
Alicia
Mommy to Sophia, Gabriel, Daniel, Joshua, Nicholas, Parker and Jared
and of course Isabella Hope

Anonymous said...

This is a great post. I'm impressed with your innovative homeschooling. Your hair looked great last weekend. Glad the girls are enjoying the co-op
Love,
Mom and Dad

Phil and Jennifer said...

Alicia,
I'm so excited about your news!! How fun. You have earned whatever grey hairs you have!
Funny, Kate was just sitting in the dinning room chair on a ball and loving it. I made her get of because it was dangerous, but maybe I'll just try a lower table. Thanks for the tip!
Can't wait to meet Isabella.
Jennifer

th77hunter said...

Glad you and the girls are enjoying school. Looks like fun! We miss you all!

Beth Buckner said...

Wow! Homeschooling seems to be working for all of you.. you all look adorable (yep, you too Jenny!) I can't EVEN imagine homeschooling.. so Kudos and Bravo and whatever other cheer I could say to you!

Anonymous said...

I want to come to school too. You are an amazing person! a teacher, a mother, a doctor, a wife, a daughter and sister- I am so proud to call you my friend.
Snehal

Natalie said...

Hi! I've been following your story for years, and now have two wonderful children from China myself. I'm also an OT, and bravely delurking to suggest you try a balance disk like this one on Kate's chair:

http://www.amazon.com/GOGO-Balance-Exercise-Training-Stability/dp/B001KOD92Q

It works wonders for kids who need to move, and you can take it with you anywhere! Much easier than a big ball... :o)

Phil and Jennifer said...

Nat,
So glad you delurked!!! I love OT suggestions...they are the best. Can't wait to get us a balance disk. thanks so much!
Jennifer

LucisMomma said...

Jennifer, that is so cool. We homeschool, too. Most of the time I love it. (reality here!) So happy for you as you enjoy this new year for all of you--homeschooling (that co-op sounds heavenly!), new church works, and getting to keep helping families like mine. (BTW, I think we need to come see y'all again, Brenda especially--some things I've written about on one of my blogs-- http://justmythoughtsexactly.wordpress.com/)

LucisMomma said...

Jennifer, here's a post I've been wanting to get yours and Brenda's opinion on...Maybe we just need to go visit with y'all again at the clinic.

http://justmythoughtsexactly.wordpress.com/2010/12/11/sometimes-it-is-an-adoption-issue/