Saturday, November 17, 2007

Lily gets glasses

My sweet Lily got glasses yesterday. Ugh! She is only 3! I think this is the start of a lifetime of glasses and contacts. She has a lazy eye and these glasses are to make her eyes work harder in a sense. She LOVES them...when they are in the case. Since they don't make her see any better, I guess it is like you and I trying on someone else's glasses whose prescription is just a little stronger. She has to wear them all day and we still have to patch 6-8 hours a day (which she also loves, as you can imagine). This is all occuring while she is going through a major embarrassment stage. She hates too much attention, so wearing glasses and a patch is a little much for her right now. By the way...if you adopted a child...get her vision checked no matter how young. I have many patients that I could not diagnose in the office that there was any visual abnormality, but when seen by the pediatric ophthalmologist, there was significant visual loss present. Visual development only occurs until age 6 years old, so you can correct many problems before then, but not after. Anyway...she loved these clip-ons, so if you see her indoors wearing them...it is the only way I could get them on her that day! Also, if anyone knows a place to get cheap children's glasses, let me know. Otherwise, I need to start a vision trustfund!
















































































































Below are Kate's empathy glasses. Kate has been spared the glasses thus far. Thank goodness!

13 comments:

RoLo said...

aaaah it must be hard to explain to her why she has to wear them. Good luck.

LucisMomma said...

what a pity she does not like them, because Lily looks absolutely adorable in them. And love that tu-tu and cowboy boots! :)

Anonymous said...

Gracious, and they look ADORABLE on her! She has that going for her if she decides she likes 'em. But she will just get more oohs and ahhs in them because she is so precious. Love that Kate is sharing the fun!

I think I will call for J because she has that one eye that may just be the lid but to be safe! Will you email the number of your ped eye doc?
:) Teresa

Sonya said...

Lily looks like a star! Maybe she will grow to love them!!!
LOVE the ped eye doc you sent Katie Lin to! Thankfully, we are good, cause I don't know how I'd keep them on KL!

What a sweet sister to "share in the fun" as Teresa says! ;)

Sonya

RamblingMother said...

Well she is cute in her tutu, boots and sunglasses.

Beverly

Scott and Kim said...

Lily looks simply adorable in her glasses! Kate is very sweet to wear glasses like her sis.
It would be so much easier if our girls understood that "it is for their own good"! :-)
Our Jenna is wearing glasses, with one prescription lense, and wears a patch for 5 hours a day. This has made for some interesting days, but we have not hit the embarressment stage yet...

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer, She does look so cute in her glasses.. You have probably already thought of this, but when Alma Rose was having to patch every day, we made an art project out of it. She got to "decorate" her patch with crayons. She loved wearing the patches with her drawings on them... Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that MaiLin's glasses DID make her see better and she wanted to keep them on. As for cheap glasses --HA!. We are with you . Between allergy shots for fire ants and glasses we are going to have to take out a loan.
Shawna

Anonymous said...

GOOD MORNING LILY & KATE'S MOM!, I'M JILL WINFREY I LIVE IN BOAZ, MY DEAREST FRIEND IN THE WORLD IS SUNNY SPANN (JILLIAN'S MOM) YOU'RE JILLIAN'S PEDIATRICIAN. WE LOVE TO SEE YOUR POST OF WHAT THESE SILLY GIRLS HAVE GOT IN TO! I JUST WANTED TO PASS ALONG A GREAT WEB SITE FOR GLASSES MY HUSBAND HAS REC. GONE W/ GLASSES CAUSE IF WE'D STAYED WE CONTACTS WE'D WOULD'VE HAD TO HAVE "DEEP" 1 ON 1 COUNSELING :) ! YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GOOGLE IT, ZENNIOPTICAL.COM I DID CHECK IT FOR CHILDRENS FRAMES ALSO. WE HAD GREAT RESULTS, I WANTED HIM TO HAVE A SPARE PAIR (YOU NEVER KNOW?) I DIDN'T MEAN TO USE YOUR COMMENT SPACE PLEASE DELETE IT & HAVE A GOOD ONE!! OH! YOU ARE THE "KING" OF WHAT YOU PULLED OFF W/ THE B'DAY CAKE!! IF I MAY HELP YOU PLEASE JUST YELL JILL WINFREY 256 302-0624 HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Julie said...

Okay the glasses are so precious BUT the tu-tu and hot pink cowboy boots are even better!

Julie

Shana said...

Lily, what a pretty princess you are in your glasses! I love my glasses & I hope you do too! We have lots in common, don't we?

I really think you are beautiful in your glasses (my mommy thinks so too)! Enjoy them!

Love, Sophie Lu! :)

Anonymous said...

i love my cousins!

love, amelia.

Lori said...

When my nephew was four, had the same problem that your Lily does- lazy eye, glasses and eye patch. Something that helped him was watching "Arthur" on PBS because Arthur wears glasses. He totally related to it and soon knew every cartoon character that wore glasses (Simon from the Chipmunks, Carl on Jimmy Neutron). Let her put an eyepatch on a favorite doll so that she feels a kinship towards her. You are lucky she has a friend going through the same thing. When you are little, any difference you have makes you feel like an outsider... so just find someone or something that she can relate to!

Lori (redhead who still goes out of her way to find other redheads in the toy store or movies, etc! Ha ha)