Monday, September 26, 2005

The Lord given and He taken away. Blessed be His name.

On this day, my sister called from home to tell us that my sweet Mammaw went to be with Jesus. She was my mom's mother (my mom is the one here with us). She was 95 yo and lived a great life, but the day was filled with such mixed emotion from extreme grief to happiness over the innocent smiles of our babies. Trying to process this is overwhelming. After many tears and questioning, i have truly begun to see God's hand in this timing. I can feel the prayers of my brothers and sisters in Christ. Mammaw was an amazing woman about which i could tell a thousand stories (most of which would make you laugh and some of which could not be repeated in public :) She embodied the title of Mammaw more than anyone i could ever imagine. From home cooked breakfasts, to spoiling us, to putting all her grandchildren through college and providing us all with our first car, to having the most hilarious sense of humor, and finally, to pointing me to Christ in her own Mammaw Bootsie way. I'm so glad that i was able to still crawl into her bed with her and snuggle like i have done for the last 35 years just before we left for China. Of course, she still said in a pretend annoyed way, "Hold still, Child!" The really neat thing for me was that at about the same time she died, Kate giggled out loud for the first time for us as I was doing the Mammaw Bootsie voice for her in an effort to entertain her on the plane. The girls may not meet her here on earth, but will hear stories about her as they grow up.

12 comments:

Teresa said...

Tearing up with you just imagining what your heart feels. My dear Grandma went home to Jesus the year that Bethany came home and it was one of the hardest emotional losses I have ever experienced but like you felt comfort in lots of happy memories and the knowledge that it was not good bye. Praying for you and your family- that the girls will keep you giggling like your MawMaw Bootsie! Hurting for you... Teresa

Anonymous said...

Oh, what sadness and what joy! I am so glad I knew her and laughed with her and your family. She will be missed by all! I'll be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

I am so filled with so many emotions. I am sure your mammaw would come up with some funny/shocking thing to say about all of this. We are thinking of you during this incredible time.
with love, snehal,charlie,elina and maya

Anonymous said...

I am praying for all of you. I have cried with you today as I read about your grandmother. I lost my grandfather while we were in Russia adopting Andrew. I know the many mixed emotions you are feeling right now. Your girls are beautiful and they seem to fit right in! I can tell by the pictures that they adore their mom & dad and that the feeling is mutual. We can't wait to meet your daughters. I am praying for you ... Terri

Anonymous said...

Jennifer and Family,

My heart goes out to you as I know first hand what it is like to have such a sad thing happen during what you hope and pray will be such a happy and exciting time in your life. That is how it felt when God called my grandfather, Ty Chambers (and Phil's), home to heaven at the same time he gave me my husband, Lee (and your brother-in-law). I truly understand how it feels to be so happy and so sad at the same time. Please let your family know they are in our thoughts and prayers, as through you and Phil they are part of our earthly extended family and of course our spiritual family.

Your grandmother, because of all she taught you, will shine through you for Lily and Kate. I'm sure she will be laughing and giggling up in heaven watching you travel the challenging but rewarding path of parenthood. Who knows - Lee and I might be laughing and giggling too watching Lily and Kate teach you and Phil a thing or two! :)

Give Lily and Kate a hug and kiss from us - Megan and Michael are very excited to meet their new cousins!

With love.... Carol, Lee, Megan & Michael

Anonymous said...

I think Bootsie was tired of waiting to see those sweet faces. This way she can check in on them anytime she wants.
God is wonderful to provide you with your two sweet daughters at such a difficult time.
You are all in our prayers. I hope you can feel the love and hugs all the way from Texas.

Lisa said...

Jennifer,

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. May you find great comfort in the wonderful memories of your Mawmaw.

Anonymous said...

My sweet friends,

I am so sad to think of the loss your heart feels at a time that we prayed would be nothing but bliss. However, I am so greatful that you now know the joy that squeezing your own child brings. It is amazing how their hugs can give you a peace about the future while you grive a loss from the past. I know God's timing is perfect and I will pray that your head will carry the load of this truth until your heart can catch up. We love and miss you so much and can't wait to love on Lily and Kate. Our kids pray for them at every meal. Thank you for sharing the details of this amazing journey. See you soon, Love,
Pat, Karen, Gracie, Cole and Sam

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

my thoughts are with you and your family during this overwhelming time. May you not only cry tears of sadness but also of joy as you look at your sweet angels.

Jutta Walters

Anonymous said...

jennifer,

I love you. we will talk when you get back.

Anonymous said...

Phil and Jennifer,
My prayers are with you and your family as you experience this loss. May the Lord grant you peace, surround you with His comforting arms, and infuse you with His joy during this time....love you guys, Dean (Eph. 3:14-21)

Anonymous said...

Dr. Chambers,

I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure your mawmaw was filled with such peace knowing how happy you and your family will be. I know that God will hold you in His arms and take care of you all.

Julie Smith